Feb 7, 2007

Fishing with Dad


Why is it that even when you reach an adult age your parents can still scare the shit out of you? Last night my baby brother calls me (mind you he's 29) and tells me he is going to work for our father. Then he says, "Do you remember what it's like to work for dad"? "Yeah" I say and then apologize profusely for his endeavor. When I ask why he says that he needs the money to finish getting his contractor's license and dad is supposed to teach him a few things about it. I can tell he is calling solely to get up the courage to get through the next few months. All I can tell him is, I hope it isn't like "Fishing with Dad". It was like Nazi fishing. If you can imagine being as tense as you are at the dentist, this is- "Fishing with Dad". You don't hold it right, stop moving, stop breathing, fish hate you, you suck, I wish you were never born.... Ahhh... the memories.
I still to this day find him intimidating as hell. I would have thought by now we would be over this nervousness, but I see it continues still. Do we ever get to the point where we can see our parents as humans or will we always feel pressured to please them no matter how many murderous thoughts get in the way?
To my brother- I am very sorry you have hit a point in your life where you have to get on rooftops with dad. Truly sorry...


Next time on- Why I hate my father, I will tell you why he pretended he might kill us in the woods.

8 comments:

Pookie said...

For me personally, the fear will never go away where my dad is concerned. Just too intimidated I guess. (My mom, however, is a pushover)

P.S. Missed your smiling face tonight.

Blancodeviosa said...

i missed you guys too!!! i will see you tonight though

captain corky said...

I have different issues with my father... No matter how many times I tell him I am the way that I am, he doesn't get it. I love him and all that but just once I would like to sit down with him and just have a fucking beer. Know what I mean?

Blancodeviosa said...

yeah, i know what you mean. some parents are just unapproachable in those terms to their children. maybe it's the generation. i really don't have a clue

Knitty Yas said...

i wish i had something whitty and comical and all that to say but my dad died when i was 3. i have all kinds of haunting memories of the last time i saw him before the cancer completely took over his brain and flash moments of balboa island and capistrano and san diego and santa barbara and our old apartment. mom says i shouldnt remember. i was too young. but i do.

now his brother.. my uncle Amir scares the living shit out of me.

MacGuffin said...

Yas, i'm really sorry to hear about your dad. What a horrible last remembrance to have. Traumatic things like that are soo formative for better or worse.

Knitty Yas said...

its okay davey. everything happens for a reason even if its just to make you go to therapy. :D

Blancodeviosa said...

i am sorry yas... guess i shouldn't gripe about it so much. i guess he did his best being crazy and all